A calm sea with crystalline waters is the ideal environment for snorkeling. Guanacaste has a lot of it. You can chose from several sites, some close to the beach and with the option of blazing your own trail or you can take a boat out to sea to enjoy life under the sea. Here we offer some of the best places to go snorkeling.
1. San Juanillo: It’s the best option in the zone for rich marine life. You can swim out to sea to watch diminutive blue and yellow fish, starfish and puffer fish swim. San Juanillo is located on the West coast and the closest towns are Marbella to the north and Ostional, Nosara and Garza to the south. It’s located 17 kilometers (10.5 miles) from Playa Guiones.
2. Chora Island: It’s about 1.3 kilometers (less than one mile) from Sámara. To get there you must take a kayak or hire a boat. Tours to the island cost around $40 per person. Take into consideration that it’s best to visit the island during low tide. Experts recommend snorkeling during the dry season since the water gets cloudy after strong rains in the rainy season. The island has a quiet, white sand beach where the water is calm and another, rockier part with larger waves.
3. Ocotal: It’s located about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of the city of Liberia, a few minutes away from Playas del Coco Beach. Its soft waves make it an ideal place to swim, snorkel, go diving or simply rest. The beach is surrounded by dry forest and protected by hills and rock formations.
4. Conchal: This is among the best known beaches in the province. It has crystalline, turquoise water which makes it the perfect place to swim and go snorkeling. Near the coast you can find a wide variety of marine life and swim with multicolored fish.
5. Nacascolo: Located in the canton of Liberia in the Golfo de Papagayo. It has white sand and blue, crystalline waters. It has shade all along the coast and is surrounded by lots of vegetation.